Identity theft remains a problem. That’s why we have ID recovery services to help protect our members.
- Fight identity theft and fraud just by having a CFCU credit or debit card
- Low, $2 monthly service charge
- Automatically applied to your CFCU accounts
- Professional identity theft recovery benefits covering both financial and non-financial fraud
- Benefit may extend to all named accountholders and 3 generations of your family (spouse, children and parents)
If identity theft occurs, an advocate will work on your behalf, and will:
- Place fraud alerts at the three major credit bureaus for you
- Provide you with access to credit reports from all three bureaus
- Review the reports with you to identify fraudulent activity
- Assist you in completing forms to establish your rights as a victim
- Activate credit monitoring during your recovery to help you watch for additional signs of abuse
- Contact agencies as applicable, to address any misuse of your identity
- Research and document all fraudulent transactions and false accounts
- Follow up to ensure wrongful activity is reversed and removed from your records
- Work with local and federal law enforcement to try to stop the criminal(s) using your identity
- Activate other members of the recovery team to assist when necessary
- Provide 12 months of follow-up after your recovery is complete — to ensure you stay recovered!
See the full details of our identity theft prevention benefit (PDF).
Identity theft is defined as the process of using someone else’s personal information for your own personal gain. ID theft can happen to anyone and it can come in all shapes and sizes.
According to the FTC, there are more than 30 types of identity theft affecting millions of Americans each year. Your credit card digits could be stolen and used to make online purchases; a thief could impersonate you to open up a loan in your name; a felon could commit a crime and pretend to be you when caught; or someone could use your personal information to apply for a job. To learn more about this growing problem, and to learn how to protect yourself against its devastating effects, visit this educational website.
As part of our group program, CFCU also provides you with discounted access to additional identity theft detection and recovery tools — including credit monitoring and reimbursement for expenses incurred for identity theft recovery.
For more details or to register, visit our ID Theft Protection site.